We were also taken to a Pearl Market and watched a demonstration of cutting open an oyster and 16 pearls lined each side of this oyster! We were taught that to tell if a pearl is real, you rub 2 pearls together (or gently scrape them with a knife) and it will emit a white residue. Then you know it's a real pearl. I couldn't resist, and bought a pretty pearl bracelet.
After lunch we were off to the the Great Wall of China! I was really looking forward to this because if you would have asked me 3 years ago if I ever thought I would be on the Great Wall during my lifetime, I would very easily say NO.
But we did it! It was incredibly steep in some areas and it was amazing to see the Wall snake over the rough mountains. The sign behind us says "One World One Dream."
But we did it! It was incredibly steep in some areas and it was amazing to see the Wall snake over the rough mountains. The sign behind us says "One World One Dream."
This was as far as we were allowed to hike. Beyond this point the wall was crumbling in some places. I even bought a "Great Wall" magnet from a guy selling them there at the wall. I talked him down from $7 to $3.
Interesting fact: it took 7,000 men 1 whole year to build 200 meters of the wall!
Interesting fact: it took 7,000 men 1 whole year to build 200 meters of the wall!
Nicholas, Ben, Becca, Eva, Spencer, and Luke:
After this we drove to The Ming Tombs to see where each emperor was buried. I only took video (not pictures) of that so when I figure out how to post video, I'll share that.
We all really enjoyed seeing Beijing and experiencing the culture. It was just fascinating to me to be in China!
We all really enjoyed seeing Beijing and experiencing the culture. It was just fascinating to me to be in China!
That night we said goodbye to Beijing and took an 11-hour "soft sleeper" train ride to Xi'an where my parents lived. Our sleeping quarters were quite compact, yet comfy and we slept well with 4 people per room. Here's Becca trying to sleep-in (Nicholas' foot dangling down from his bunk):
Nicholas and Spencer on the top bunk and the continual game of "Scum":

I was surprised, in Beijing, to see many signs written in Chinese characters and also in English. I was surprised that many of the other tourists were Chinese and not foreigners. I was also saddened to know that many of the ancient Chinese statues and monuments were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution in the 1950's. The idea was "out with the old China, in with the new." I was pleased with the smiles and kindness we saw from many strangers.
Nicholas and Spencer on the top bunk and the continual game of "Scum":
I was surprised, in Beijing, to see many signs written in Chinese characters and also in English. I was surprised that many of the other tourists were Chinese and not foreigners. I was also saddened to know that many of the ancient Chinese statues and monuments were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution in the 1950's. The idea was "out with the old China, in with the new." I was pleased with the smiles and kindness we saw from many strangers.
1 comment:
love those great wall pictures. makes me almost wish i'd taken the trouble to go there. and that blue sky.....we see it every day now that we're back in the states. living two years in china without it, i realize how glorious it is.
Post a Comment