Bless my mother's heart, she tried for several years to teach me to sew when I was young, but after making a few pairs of shorts and a bad looking shirt, I was done. But for some strange reason, 6 years ago I decided to make the boys their Christmas stockings. So now that this is Brooke's 3rd Christmas, I think it's time to make hers (and now David's) too. LaRene (my older sister) gave me her sewing machine a couple years ago (since she got a fancy new one!) and I decided to gather my nerve and figure it out.

And wouldn't you know it! It all came back to me and I'm pretty proud of the finished product!

Maybe next year (or the year after) I'll actually decorate them.
7 comments:
Hi Kate! I thought I'd say Hi since I came across your blog! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Karley Arritt
oh, and great job with the sewing!
One time I made a 5 feet tall stocking for myself. It didn't look as nice as yours but that didn't matter, because it could hold 5 feet worth of stuff! After I hung it by the fireplace, Mom made me replace it with my old normal sized stocking...hmmm, in retrospect, I'm not sure if that story was actually interesting enough to make it worth sharing.
Hey Kate... I see these chinese semstresses with their machines working in the open air, on sidewalks and all... I will think of you the next time I say "Wo shang hao" to them! Good work... you have more skills and talent than you give yourself credit for.
love dad
kate, your mother is VERY proud of you.
rust, i'm NOT proud of making you replace your 5 foot stocking. not sure why i made you do that. probably esthetics. you know, unmatched stockings on a fireplace aren't cool. i apologize.
mom
Good for you Kate....Hey In homec in Highschool or Jr. High..I was suposed to make a skirt. I just couldnt follow that darn pattern so I ditched it and just made the skirt. I loved it and wore it alot but I got an F....maybe because I didnt use the pattern. OH well!
Good-lookin' stockings, Kate!
Wow Kate, I went through the same thing: my mom tried to teach me to sew a shirt/shorts, for a Laurels' project -- blah! NOT my thing. BUT for some weird reason, when my kids started coming along, I wanted to start sewing...must be a 'motherly' instinct.
Post a Comment