Sunday, November 21, 2010

TOFW, Mt. Hood Village, gymnastics, Indian Village/Potlatch

Lately, I've felt so busy, and looking back I can see why! Lots of things are going on and I guess that is just life. Here's what we've been up to lately:
Time Out For Women came to Portland so I went with a few friends. Pictured are Holly, Mindy, Tonya, and me (aren't the falls colors behind us gorgeous?): Gotta love the free bags!

Tonya was so excited to meet Hilary Weeks! We left our homes extra early to get a good seat and Tonya even had a chance to go up to Hilary and tell he how much she loves her music. Just before I took this picture, Hilary said, "I'm sorry I don't look very good today." Really!?
She sang great and showed us her down-to-earth, personably, humorous side.


This lady is named Mariama Kallon. She lived in Sierra Leone, Africa during the civil wars and went through some horrible situations. She later joined the church and went on a mission to Temple Square. She was also quite humorous.

This is Merrilee Boyack, the author of my favorite parenting book "The Parenting Breakthrough." We were also entertained by Mark Mabry, Ardeth Kapp, Emily Watts, Michael Wilcox, Kris Belcher, and Michael McLean. I thoroughly enjoyed this time out with my friends and these amazing people who are just like us who have trials and struggles and have CHOSEN how they react to them. They CHOOSE to have faith in Christ, look on the bright side, to be positive and to move on. I really enjoyed every minute of it and the spirit I felt there during the talks.


Mike has been itching to go camping at every possible opportunity in our new camping trailer. So we turned Veteran's Day into a 4-day weekend and went up to Mt. Hood Village for 2 nights. It's a great RV spot with yurts and cabins too. It's great during the cold weather because of the indoor pool, exercise room, pool table, arcades, and ping pong. We spent quite a bit of time in the pool.
Here's Nicholas and Brooke:

Nicholas jumping in:
Mike throwing Zach:

Here are short videos of the boys jumping in the water:
Zach's belly flop (and us all laughing at him, I know, not very nice) :
Nicholas' "spin" :
Mike with David and Zach:

Nicholas and David:


We were quite close to the snow line at Timberline Lodge so we drove up there and played in the snow for about 30 minutes.
Nicholas:

Brooke:

Beautiful Mt. Hood in the background:

The skiing (which we didn't do) was good on Mt. Hood that day!

The day after we got back, Nicholas and Zach played in their first piano recital. I teamed up with another teacher and had the boys play. I was so proud of them for memorizing their songs and doing so well! Nicholas played "The Entertainer" and another song out of his lesson book. Zach played, "Called to Serve" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
Piano recital:


Brooke has started a gymnastics class once a week and is really loving it. Here she is doing "casts" on the bar:

And a backward roll:


Nicholas and I had been working hard on a "family project" of this Indian Village. There were some very specific requirements of making Indian people doing things. Since I'm not a crafty person, this really was a stretch for me. Thanks to some friends with great input, we completed the project and he (we) got a 6! The highest grade! Come to find out, most the students received 6's and I'm glad his teacher was feeling generous towards the kids. There really were some fascinating projects.

The whole 4th grade participated in an Indain Potlatch where the kids sang songs, they all memorized a long poem and recited it together and there were some special performances.
Nicholas is in the very top row in the middle and you can see a reflection off his glasses:


Nicholas is the top row, 3rd from left with glasses:


He was a "tree" in the performance and got to wear this cool shirt:


I'd like to say this next month we are just going to take it easy, but it will be December so that's not possible. Can we just slow things down in January and February? We'll see...

2 comments:

Rachel Tolman Terry said...

Love the hat, Nicholas! I would wear that hat every day if it were mine.

gmckibbe said...

Camping looked fun! Swimming and snow--my kids love both! Nice work on the Indian village. Only two more years before you have to do it all again! :)