Then it was time to say goodbye to the cousins and get back on the road:
(sitting) Sam, Brooke, Emily, and James
Sisters:

That night we stayed at a campground in Needles, CA. Driving across the desert of southern California is truly amazing. Coming from Oregon, any type of desert just baffles my mind. All the dry, flat, hot, nothingness. The only thing that keeps Needles alive is the Colorado River that flows through it. There really are no other towns for the several hours it took to get to Needles, CA which is on the border of Arizona.

Just to show how tall it is, I had the kids stand next to it and the other cacti:
Sisters:
That night we stayed at a campground in Needles, CA. Driving across the desert of southern California is truly amazing. Coming from Oregon, any type of desert just baffles my mind. All the dry, flat, hot, nothingness. The only thing that keeps Needles alive is the Colorado River that flows through it. There really are no other towns for the several hours it took to get to Needles, CA which is on the border of Arizona.
And we saw our first saguaro cactus!
Just to show how tall it is, I had the kids stand next to it and the other cacti:
Then a few more hours of driving to The Grand Canyon:
We camped in Williams, AZ which is considered the entrance to The Grand Canyon. Mike and I were totally unprepared for the magnificence of this canyon.
The view was breathtaking! You can see people on the next viewpoint over:

And to think the Colorado River carved this masterpiece!


Zach gives it 2 thumbs up:

I love this picture of our family in front of this view:

At several viewpoints, there were no railings and you could actually go out on this ledge, which some daring people do:

Mike felt daring, and Zach was using my camera, so you can't tell he's on the ledge, but he is:
He did say it would be "funny" if he jumped off just to scare us, since there was another ledge jutting out 3 feet below it that we couldn't see. I don't think I could have forgiven him for the heart attack it would have given me!
The view was breathtaking! You can see people on the next viewpoint over:
And to think the Colorado River carved this masterpiece!
Zach gives it 2 thumbs up:
I love this picture of our family in front of this view:
At several viewpoints, there were no railings and you could actually go out on this ledge, which some daring people do:
Mike felt daring, and Zach was using my camera, so you can't tell he's on the ledge, but he is:
Here you can barely see the Colorado River snaking through the bottom (towards the right):
3 comments:
okay, so now i have to add the grand canyon to my bucket list.
You can't look at Grandad's Grand Canyon picture the same now, can't you? :)
You convinced me to go!
that's so cool! I'm glad Mike didn't play that nasty trick on you, I already have issues with edges I would have died if I saw someone do that. Looks amazing! reminds me of the Brady bunch grand Canyon episode.
Post a Comment