Thursday, June 30, 2011

Days 12-15; Arches National Park and Aaron and Molly's wedding

Arches National Park is in Moab, which is southeastern part of Utah. Long ago, these rock formations were formed by water, and continue to form by wind and the weather. There are 18 miles of driving through the park to see the amazing formations as well as different hikes to more formations. Here is Mike standing in front of what he calls "The Three Wisemen" :
As we drove through the park, the kids got excited about the different images they saw in the rock. They would say, "Hey, that looks like Jabba the Hutt!" "That looks like a big lion!" etc.




David wanted to take some pictures with my camera, so he took these next few pictures:









And then he took a picture of himself:




Here I am saying, "OK David, give me my camera back, please":

And David said, "Take a picture of me!"




Here's Balanced Rock:




We hiked (1.5 miles round trip) to Landscape Arch, which wasn't a difficult hike, but with nearly 100 degree weather, lots of sun, and Mike and I carrying Brooke and David most the way, we were exhausted by the end:




We made it! The family with Landscape Arch in the background:






Mike up a sandy slope:




Some really cool formations:




A really short hike was to Sand Arch:



I thought this was a really neat formation (and in the shade!) but the sand is so deep, we ended up barefoot.





So many cool formations!




I really wanted to take the kids to Delicate Arch, but after learning that it's a strenuous 3-mile round trip hike, we decided against it. I don't remember it being that bad when I was last there 18-years ago, but I didn't have kids with me then. So we drove to a lower viewpoint and it certainly didn't have as powerful affect as I wanted:



Kind of wimpy, don't you think? Oh well, we'll do the hike next time.

The next day, Zach and I flew from Salt Lake City to Seattle for my little brother's wedding. Mike continued on to Vernal, UT with the trailer and 3 kids.



Aaron and Molly coming out of the Seattle Temple:







Zach at the temple:








Here's all the Terry family (plus one friend of Aaron's) that came to the temple:






My immediate family:
(standing) Luke, Kate, Ben, Mom, Dad, LaRene, Jonathan


(front row) Rusty, Ginger, Adam, Aaron



One more family shot for fun:




Just the boys:




And the girls:




Zach's eyes grew big when he saw the cupcake table at the reception:




Molly and Aaron's car:



Aaron's nickname has been "Airbo" and so Molly has now been lovingly dubbed "Mollybo":






1 comment:

a said...

I remember when you were at BYU or something you went to arches and sent me a picture of a rock that looked like a dinosaur. is he still around?