Friday, March 27, 2009

"All I Ask of You"

(That is Mike and my song and my brother, Rusty, sang it with a friend at our reception. You can hear it on my playlist.)
Happy 12th Anniversary to us! I love you, Mike!
We were married in the Seattle Temple on March 28, 1997. (Isn't he a hottie?)
I like the below picture because the electricity caused by our kiss made my veil fly up spontaneously!
My youngest brother, Aaron, is carrying my train. He's now a missionary in Jacksonville, Florida.

With Mike's parents:
With my parents:

How me met:
We met 10 months prior to our wedding. I had just returned from being a missionary in Dallas, Texas and Mike had just returned from being out to sea (courtesy of the Navy) for the last time. We met at the Young Adult Ward in Silverdale, WA. He was stationed in Bremerton and that was my home stake. We didn't know each other before my mission because he was baptized a couple months after I left. After dating for a couple weeks, Mike let me know he was pretty sure he wanted to marry me. I just laughed at him because I wanted to just have fun that summer, go back to BYU and finish my degree and I certainly wasn't ready to "settle down." We did have a lot of fun that summer and saw a whole lot of each other. In fact, my family went camping in Montana and he and his friends "happened" to stop by! I left for BYU at the end of the summer and Mike came to visit me 3 weeks later. That was the longest 3 weeks of my life! He came to visit me again the end of October and I took him to the jewelry store and showed him which ring I had picked out (which he promptly bought) and then we went out to dinner and a musical. Then I showed him where to take me (up the mountain overlooking the city of Provo) to propose to me, which he did down on one knee. He came to visit me a 3rd time in Provo that semester, during finals. He had to hurry and drive back to Washington so he could pick me up from the airport.
A funny thing that happened on our wedding day:
At some point during the day we realized some friends were staying at the same hotel we were going to be staying at that night. They were unaware of this and we wanted them to remain unaware, but it would give us away to have our "Just Married" decorated truck sitting in the parking lot. So Mike's friend, Keith, drove us in the truck to our hotel and dropped us off and then picked us up again in the morning. He then went out that night, driving around, alone, in a "Just Married" vehicle! I can imagine onlookers feeling sorry for the poor guy all alone and being "just married."

6 comments:

Lisa said...

You guys have aged well! I seriously thought you dressed up in your old clothes and he put on some different glasses!!! Ha ha ha. Congrats!

Beth said...

Happy anniversary! Kate you are such a natural beauty. I love your story, makes me laugh.

Tonya said...

Happy Anniversary. You both look the same as you did 12 years ago. Age has treated you well.

Linda Terry said...

i'm a little slow, but we've been blogless the past week. not sure what happened. the government blocked youtube last week, and maybe it also blocked our blogs. but ANYWAY, your photos brought back sweet memories and i learned some things from your story. you're wonderful. we love you both. happy late anniversary.
mom

Clement Family said...

electrical kisses...is that why it’s always raining here?!?

nishushan said...

OMG, I love that you showed Mike the ring you wanted. We have discussed the whole picking out the engagement ring situation. I am leaving the proposal portion up to him though.

I love these stories, they are so good. If i were to ask Mike I'm sure he'd say, "i asked her to marry me and it was great."